PIKITUP INTENSIFIES ITS CONTINGENCY MEASURES
Pikitup, the City of Johannesburg’s waste management entity, is intensifying its contingency measures to counter the effects of the waste collection service disruptions, despite intimidation by some striking workers. Residents and business owners are urged to keep bins and excess waste outside their properties to ensure that waste is collected through the contingency measures put in place. It is important to note that in certain instances collection is done during the night and may continue throughout the week until normal services resume.
Residents and business owners are urged to recycle their waste in order to reduce the waste going to the landfill sites and where possible to drop off their waste at their nearest garden refuse sites. We appeal to communities to work with us in order to ensure the safety of the third party contractors.
- Contingency measures:
o We are collecting waste from the municipal clinics and hospitals, and from some of our bulk customers.
o The Dailies service is currently only taking place on a period basis.
o Decanting of all the Garden Sites is currently taking place.
o We appeal to our commercial customers to liaise with their customer service consultants to schedule emergency collection.
o Collection of recyclable materials continues in participating areas.
- Areas not being collected as a result of intimidations experienced:
o Northern areas:
- Ivory Park
- Parts of Alexandra
o Central areas:
- Parts of Doornfontein including Hostels in the inner city CBD
o Southern areas:
- Central Camp Depot: Orlando East, Meadowlands, The exit from Goudkoppies and Diepkloof.
- Zondi Depot: Zola, Protea North, Mndeni, Dobsonville and Mapetla.
- Southdale Depot: Mangololo, George Goch and Denver.
- Roodepoort Depot: Zamimpilo, Slovo and Kathrada.
- Waterval Depot: Westbury and Riverlea.
- Avalon Depot: Freedom Park, Lehae, Lenasia South and Lawley.
- Services not being offered:
o No Street sweeping or litter picking is taking place except for the various CBDs across the City of Johannesburg.
o The bulky waste service is not being offered at this stage.
Residents and business owners are encouraged to contact the Call Centre for any complaints related to refuse collection and other related queries: 0860562874. Please visit the Pikitup website on www.pikitup.co.za for a detailed refuse collection calendar. Facebook: www.facebook/Pikitup.co.za / A Cleaner Joburg. Twitter: @CleanerJoburg. http://www.pikitup.co.za/find-a-facility/.